Ending Your Tenancy

If you intend leaving your home permanently, you must give us at least four clear weeks’ notice, by completing our Notice to Quit form.  We also require you to provide details of your gas, electric and water suppliers by completing our Suppliers Details Form.

We will arrange to visit you to inspect your property and discuss the action you must take before you leave. It is important that you provide access for this inspection.

We expect the property to be left in a good, clean and clear condition to enable us to quickly make it ready for someone else to move into. You will be recharged, if you do not leave the home in the condition that we expect.

Please note that if keys are not returned by 10.00am on the Monday following termination of the tenancy, rent will be charged up to the date they are returned to the Association.

Moving out – action you must take

You must: 

  • carry out any repairs, which are the responsibility of the tenant. This includes repairing any damage that you have caused (fair wear and tear excepted)
  • make sure your rent and any service charges are paid up to the date when your tenancy ends
  • arrange removal of all your belongings and any rubbish from the home, including in any loft space and leave the property in a clean condition
  • arrange removal of all your belongings and any rubbish from the garden. This includes any structures which are your own (shed, greenhouse etc.)
  • remove all carpet, underlay and wooden laminate flooring (unless we have agreed the flooring can stay)
  • let us know your new address in case we need to contact you. Please note, we are not responsible for re-directing your mail – a form for this is available from your local Post Office
  • notify your utility and telephone suppliers and arrange for final accounts to be issued
  • leave behind your gas or electricity key cards (if you have any). It will also be helpful if you could leave behind any operating instructions for the central heating system
  • return all other keys to us, including window keys, fobs, communal door keys, letterbox keys and including any keys held by relatives, carers etc
  • tell the post office, your utility suppliers, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the local authority regarding your council tax

Death of a tenant

Coping with the death of a relative is never easy and trying to deal with their affairs can be complicated and upsetting. Hopefully, the following guidance will help you by explaining what you need to do when a resident of one of our properties dies. If there is anything you are unsure of, please do contact us.

Who should I inform?

You should tell us about the death of a tenant as soon as possible. You will need to provide us with the following information:

  • a copy of the death certificate
  • confirmation of the executor of the will, or letter of administration.

A letter of administration provides evidence that you have legal responsibility to manage the estate if there is no will or executor. You can find more information on applying to become an administrator on the website Gov.uk.

Joint tenancies

If you were a joint tenant with the person who has died, you have the right to take over the tenancy and stay in your home. You are responsible for any overdue rent and any other money owed on the property.

Ending a sole tenancy

Where a sole tenant dies, it is necessary to bring the tenancy to an end. To do this a copy of the death certificate and four weeks’ notice is normally required. However, in some cases it may be possible to end it sooner.

It is important to note that rent will continue to be payable until the keys are returned. If the tenant was receiving Housing Benefit, this will automatically be cancelled on the Sunday following their death. If there is an outstanding amount on the tenant’s rent account after the keys have been returned, we will seek to recover this from the estate.

What should I do before returning the keys?

We will need the property to be handed back completely empty of furnishings, belongings and rubbish. Any items in the loft or garden, including any greenhouse, shed etc. belonging to the tenant, should be removed. We may charge for the disposal of any items or rubbish left in the property or garden. If there is anything you are unsure of, please contact us.

Who else do I need to contact?

As well as informing people who were close to the deceased, in many cases you’ll need to close down accounts, and cancel or change insurance details, subscriptions, agreements, payments or direct debits. The attached list of organisations to contact may help you to keep track of who you may need to inform.